My guilty pleasure loaded with kilo joules ……. somehow a Chocolate cake combined with Beetroot just works for me, these cupcakes are so simple and have a warm earthy flavor, the best part of all is no one will ever know what you have hidden inside them.
This sweet red vegetable is packed full of vitamins and minerals , vitamin C , folate , manganese, potassium and iron. So if your are looking for a sort of healthy cake, then try my chocolate beetroot cupcakes .
Ingredients for 12 Cup Cakes
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Table spoons coco powder
- 90 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of castor sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 2/3 cup of cream
- 100g grams of oven roasted finely grated beetroot
- 60 grams dark chocolate
1.Wash your Beetroot and rub with vegetable oil and roast in the oven for 45 mins at 180 degrees Celsius – allow to cool – peel off outer layer with a knife and grate with the fine side of the grater.
2. I melt my chocolate in a bowl standing in boiling water – allow to cool down
3. Turn on your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
4. Beat your butter and sugar together and add one egg at a time , add the cream and the cooled own chocolate.
5.In a separate bowl – sift flour, baking powder and cocoa together – add this slowly to the mix the chocolate mix.
6. Then add the finely grated beetroot and mix well.
7. Spoon the mixture in your cupcake tin in individual baking cups – this recipe does 12 cupcakes
Place the cup cake tin in the middle of the oven and leave to bake for 15 mins. I use my timer to remind me. Check after 15 mins. Depending on your oven 15 to 18 minutes to bake. Check with a tooth pick – if it comes out clean its ready
Wait for the cupcakes to cool on the rack. I have to different icings
I use for this recipe which are both good. Today I used the Cream Cheese Icing .
Chocolate Ganache Icing
125 grams dark chocolate with a 1/4 cup of cream. Heat cream until you see bubbles add chocolate – take off the stove and leave for 10 minutes – whisk and blend with the chocolate. Wait for 30 minutes – and pipe onto your cooled cupcakes .
Cream Cheese Icing
200g tub full-fat cream cheese
100g softened unsalted butter
1 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup pureed Beetroot
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Author : Leanne Gammon