Recipe – serves 12 – prepare 24 hours ahead
- 6 cups of mixed berries -Strawberry , Rasberry and BlueBerries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- chocolate cake – a per recipe below – cut in small blocks
- 2 litre of Vanilla custard
- 3 cups of cream whipped
- 1 cup of Amarula
- Homemade Berry Jelly as per recipe below – cut in 2 cm blocks
1.Cut strawberries in slices – sprinkle icing sugar over berries and mix.
2. Once the cake has cooled and jelly is set you can start the layering of your trifle – you should do this the day before so all the flavors can mature? First layer custard, then berries, chocolate cake – drizzle the amarula over the cake layer , then blocks of berry jelly in a layer, custard -a dollop of cream and berries on top to garnish
3 . Place back into the fridge and serve the next day.
RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE HEALTH BERRY JELLY
I got creative and make healthy jelly rather the the standard box variety.
- 6 cups Red Berry Juice – I used Berry Liquifruit and added 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 Sachets of gelatin (5 x 10g sachets) I use Sheridans Gelatin ( 1 sachet is about 1 heaped tablespoon of Gelatin
- Add 2 cup Berry juice to a mixing bowl and add the 4 sachets of gelatin ( 4 heaped tablespoons) and leave for 6 minutes, do not stir.
- In a pot on the stove add 4 cups berry juice with a tablespoon of sugar and heat to boiling point.
- Pour heated juice over gelatin mix in the mixing bowl and whisk until is mixed, wait for it to cool down and place in the fridge to set – takes 4 to 5 hours depending on your fridge.
- Cut in 2cm size blocks.
Then on to Microwave Chocolate Cake – also super easy to make and quick
If you don’t have a microwave and don’t want to bake – you can use Boudoir biscuits and Chocolate instant Pudding – this also works well. ( this is my Mum’s version )
Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cake flour
- pinch of salt
- Add your dry ingredients through a sive into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl mix eggs oil and milk and add slowly to the the dry mixture and mix
- Pour into well greased pyrax dish and microwave on high for 8 mins -check with a tooth pick after 6 mins – if it comes out clean its ready if not microwave and check again when it reaches 8 mins.
- Leave to stand for 2 mins in microwave then leave to stand for 15 mins remove from the pyrax dish and allow to cool on a rack – cut in half and then cut into strips and small blocks. Put in the fridge to cool .
Author: Leanne Gammon