Baba Ganoush is a creamy Middle Eastern Eggplant dip made from pureed eggplant , tahini paste, garlic , salt and lemon juice. Leave it 4 hours to marinate in the lemon before you serve it , it packs a punch in flavour and worth waiting for. When I think of the Gwayi Hotel and Christmas, The Broombergs and Eve Baron made the best Baba Ganoush ever…. Serve with carrot ,red pepper slices and homemade pita bread. ( Recipe to follow)
Baba Ganoush Recipe
- 4 Medium sized Eggplant
- 3 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 4 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Yogurt Optional
- 3 TBSP Parsley chopped fine
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/2 Cup Tahini
- Teaspoon of Sesame Seeds – to garnish
- Prick Eggplant with a knife – rub with olive oil and bake eggplant in its skin in the oven for a about 40 mins at 180 degrees celcuis. Eggplant should be soft and collapse. If you want a smokey flavour … you can add your eggplant at the end of your braai fire to sit for 15 mins to smoke – coals should be white as ashy – you don’t want it to burn.
- Remove from oven/ braai fire and wait for eggplant to cool – scoop out eggpant into a sieve over a bowl and leave for 10 mins for liquid to drain.
- In a mixing bowl using a fork – mash the eggplant – add crushed garlic , parsley ,tahini, oil , lemon juice, salt and if you like yogurt .